Artesian Well Rebate Program
Controlling Flowing Artesian Wells
The Coachella Valley Water District (CVWD) and the Coachella Valley Mosquito and Vector Control District (CVMVCD) are cooperating in an effort to notify well owners of their responsibility to control artesian wells in accordance with state regulations. Section 305 of the California Water Code (PDF) requires artesian wells to be capped or equipped with a mechanical appliance which will readily and effectively arrest and prevent the flow of water.
California Public Health Code Section 2060(b) (PDF) holds a property owner who controls the diversion, delivery, conveyance, or flow of water responsible for the abatement of a public nuisance that is caused by, or as a result of, that property or the diversion, delivery, conveyance, or control of that water.
Failure to remedy violations of California Water Code or Public Health Code may result in the issuance of a notice of public nuisance, and such other action as permitted by law. In addition, you may be subject to civil penalties up to $1,000 per day (California Health and Safety Code, Sec. 2060-2067 (PDF)).
Artesian Well Rebate
A rebate of up to $3,000 per well for a maximum of 2 wells will be provided to well owners who properly control flowing artesian wells occurring in the East Whitewater River Subbasin Area of Benefit. View the area map (PDF) to see if you fall in this area.
How To Qualify for a Rebate
- Own property that has an uncontrolled artesian well.
- Contact CVWD or CVMVCD staff to visit your well site to confirm artesian conditions.
- Provide invoices or receipts from a certified contractor who recently completed capping, sealing, modifying, repairing, or destroying an artesian well on your property.
How to Apply to the Rebate Program
- Download an Artesian Well Rebate Program Application (PDF). Complete the application and return to CVWD.
- Complete an Artesian Well Rebate Program application in person at CVWD’s Steve Robbins Administration Building.
- Call 760-398-2651, extension 2200, or email, to request an Artesian Well Rebate Program application be mailed to you.
Requirements for Receiving a Rebate
- Eligible applicants must provide proof of payment (invoices and receipts) for work performed on or after January 1, 2011, on previously documented uncontrolled artesian wells.
- Eligible applicants must provide access to CVWD or CVMVCD staff to their properties to inspect groundwater wells and surface water conditions.
- Eligible applicants are required to execute a Mosquito Reduction Best Management Plan Agreement to design and implement a Mosquito Reduction Best Management Plan (MRBMP) (PDF). Rebate recipients who do not implement the MRBMP will undergo CVMVCD’s abatement process and could be subject to fines.
- Eligible applicants are required to install water meters on all their wells used for groundwater production.
- Eligible applicants are required to execute a Water Production Metering Agreement (PDF) for all their wells used for groundwater production.
- Annual Well Drillers Registration List for the County of Riverside 2017 (PDF)
- CVWD Standard Specifications for Well Head Meter Assemblies (PDF)
CVWD and CVMVCD staff are monitoring artesian conditions in the Coachella Valley and are available to visit your well and determine if artesian conditions exist. CVWD staff can provide you a list of licensed well repair contractors that can evaluate your well and determine the best corrective action.