Starting Domestic ServiceTo establish water service, complete a Domestic Water Service Request form ( Owner | Tenant ) and submit. If completing an owner request, please also submit documented proof of property ownership (Grant Deed or Estimated/Final Closing Statement).
- If you are a property owner: All accounts, whether the property is to be rented or leased, must have owner authorization to setup an account. Please note there are separate forms for residential and commercial service. Residential service is for homes, apartments, condominiums and other dwellings in which people live. Commercial service is for businesses, office buildings and other needs.
- If you rent or lease: Property owners may authorize their tenants to be billed directly for payment purposes; however, the owner will be responsible for all unpaid charges. The tenant form, Domestic Water Service Request form (Tenant) must be completed. CVWD must have contact information for the service address in the event of an emergency.
- New Residential Development: Domestic Water Service Request form (New Meter) is for newly developed residential homes.
- If you are a realtor or broker: Complete the owner application form Domestic Water Service Request form (Owner) and provide a listing agreement for the property or other documentation designating that you are the authorized agent for the property landowner and are responsible for the water at the property. A $100 deposit will be required to establish service.
- The new account holder will be required to establish credit worthiness before service can begin. The applicant can demonstrate established credit by showing they received service for 12 consecutive months from their previous water provider without being discontinued for nonpayment. Prior service must have been in the applicant’s name to use for establishing credit. If credit worthiness cannot be established, a $250 deposit will be required.
If you prefer to submit your application by mail, fax or hand deliver it to CVWD, for your convenience the following pdf files are available:
Domestic Water Service Request form - Residential (Owner)
Domestic Water Service Request form - Residential (Tenant)
Domestic Water Service Request form - Commercial/Construction
Domestic Water Service Request form - Residential (New Meter)
Contested Charges form
If you have any questions about the request forms, or need assistance, please contact us at (760) 391-9600.
Starting Canal ServiceStarting canal service is easy. Simply fill out a Canal Water Service Request form and mail, fax or hand deliver it to Coachella Valley Water District.
Establishing creditThe new account holder may be required to establish credit worthiness before service can begin. If credit worthiness cannot be established, a deposit will be required. The applicant can demonstrate established credit by showing they received service for 12 consecutive months from their previous water provider without being discontinued for nonpayment. Prior service must have been in the applicant’s name to use for establishing credit.
For your protectionCVWD is committed to protecting our customer’s identity. Proof of identity may be required when establishing or changing water services. A pass code may be established which will enable the account holder to facilitate a number of transactions over the phone. If you would like a spouse, relative, or 3rd party to have access to your account, please add that information to your application. This information can also be sent electronically to email@example.com, mailed to CVWD, Customer Service at P.O. Box 1058, Coachella, CA 92236, or submitted by fax (760) 398-3190.
How to Stop Water Service or Update Mailing AddressFor your protection, written confirmation of a request to stop water service or mailing address change is required, and may be delivered as follows:
- By Fax: (760) 398-3190, please allow 48 hours from date received in office for processing
- By Mail: CVWD, P.O. Box 1058, Coachella, CA 92236 Attn: Customer Service (once received, please allow 48 hours from the date received for processing)
- By Email: Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: Coachella or Palm Desert locations
Please allow 48 hours from the date of change request for processing and update.
Accounts are not closed or re-opened automatically. It is your responsibility to notify our office to discontinue service.
Move In/Move OutWhen service has been discontinued, the water will be turned off. If a renter is being billed and notifies the District that they want service stopped, water service will be transferred to the property owner’s name, if owner has made these arrangements.
If you are a renter, please note: If the property you rent has a new owner, it would be helpful to advise them to contact our office for account transfer to assure uninterrupted water service.